Wednesday 20 January 2010

Kate Malone


I had a great weekend, I went to the London Art Fair at the Business Design Centre in Angel http://www.londonartfair.co.uk/. I didn't expect to see much ceramics there seeing as many people struggle to see clay as an art medium, what with the old arts craft debate. This is not a problem that I have!  Well, what a surprise it was to see the Barrett and Marsden gallery just inside the door in a prime location, right near the Hirst's and all the other heavy weight art galleries. Check out the web site http://www.bmgallery.co.uk/ it is clearly a 'crafts' based gallery. Could it be that times are changing?

If that wasn't good enough there was MORE. While looking around the Barrett and Marsden stand I noticed a flash of bright red out of the corner of my eye, I turned around and lo and behold, it was the unmistakable giant red hair of Kate Malone, the single most famous a influential female ceramicist in England. In the world of ceramics it's like bumping into Nicole Kidman whilst browsing in your local film shop....(I chose her as a comparison because they have similar coloured hair). At this point I turned to my partner John and in a stage whisper I said 'Its Kate Malone'. I didn't do this intentionally to be heard, I promise, but heard I was, and Ms Malone turned around and as friendly and polite as you like she ...'Yep I am Kate Malone, are you two potters?' After this ensued a conversation where I explained I have been teaching her work at school and I said I would send her examples of the student's work, she offered the kids I teach the chance to visit her studio and one lucky student who was really keen would be able to work in her studio over the summer. (I would do it, and one of my teacher colleagues Jane also said that she would be Kate's 'bitch' given half a chance which I thought was very amusing) So all in all, a very interestingand worthwhile visit.

After the show we went for dinner in a lovely restaurant called the Afghan Kitchen across the road and had a really wholesome and healthy dinner. While John dashed off to the cash machine, because the little restaurant did not accept cards, I hefted out the book I had just bought called 'British Studio Pottery' and began to browse. A gentleman next to me asked 'are you a potter?'. It turned out he was a gallery owner who shows work by Mo Jupp who I share a studio with. He gave me some good advice on making applications to galleries. So when I eventually have decent body of work together I will make an application to the gallery. http://www.beauxartsbath.co.uk/

Over all I feel like this weekend's events were worth recording simply because they made the world of ceramics seem more attainable. I have a long way to go, ceramics is not a one hit wonder, flash in the pan kinda thing, and I know I have to work long and hard to build up my skills and a body of strong work. But I feel a bit more comfortable approaching people who are real players in the business.


No comments: