Wednesday 10 February 2010

Oh My God

Having just announced that I would like to explore the role of women in art and the idea of the vessel and its similarities with the female form, I was enthralled and a little bit disconcerted to find the following images on some of the bogs that I follow.

The one above 'Like Butter' (1997) is by Kate Butterly an American ceramacist who creates small sculptural vessels which are based around the human form. In my mind they ooze feminine form, although not the typical airbrushed and svelte forms we all see in the media. This piece looks like the lower half of a de-robed female cherub, all rosy and pink, there are even what appears to be little nipples on the cushion upon which the rather graceless little cherub sits. I think I love it.

'Above Normal' (2008) also by Butterly smacks immediately of the uterus, with what appear to be little baby feet where the eggs should be. These are quite powerful and unsettling works that work on a part of my brain related to bodily functions and wet sticky things. The glossy pink of the body of the sculpture make it seem as though this one has been whipped fresh out of someones body plopped on the side board.

'Uterus Vase' by Stéphanie Rollin makes no bones about the fact that the vessel relates to the female form. This one is a bit too slick for my liking but it is another example of a woman out there looking at femininity and gender through ceramics. Maybe someone should write a book on this phenomenon!

3 comments:

JohnyC said...

This is so the way you have been exploring your own artwork, it is encouraging to know that someone is doing the same. it is nice to see such lovely exploration of the female form through female eyes, I think you females need to make your stance and say what you have to say.

Unknown said...

Fannies are cool

Anne Castano said...

Thanking you Billy! I have two followers now, its the start of something big! I think we all like fannies!!