Tuesday 22 December 2009

Disaster!


After working on the pot for my friend Julia for several weeks, I returned to the studio yesterday to view the results of the firing I put on the night before....firstly there were several smaller items in a nasty blue colour which were supposed to be 'rusty crystal' they were more like melted plastic navy blue...yuk. However beyond those at the back of the kiln was Julia's pot looking immaculate, I unloaded the kiln and lifted up Julia's pot...Disaster the guts of the pot fell out of the bottom. Destroyed and utterly un-salvageable.

Anyway this is the life of ceramics, when it goes in the kiln you give it up to the fire. I personally think it was mainly my fault. I didn't let the pot dry out properly in my haste to get it finished in time for Christmas in order for Julia to give it to her husband on the big day. So I have to start this pot again today....I have aslo started a couple of other peices and bought some rather exciting new glazes, the results of which will be posted here in good time. (hopefully not too long)

No comments: