Saturday 12 December 2009

Open Studio

Last night was the open studio at Archway Ceramics where I and several other ceramicists while away the hours making ceramic art work in various forms. It was a successful evening and I sold a couple of pieces. I also gave away two small pieces to two students of mine who came up to see the show. I think they deserved it for supporting the cause and its not like they have loads of money to throw around. Hopefully it will put some passion for ceramics into them and extend the bleak looking future of studio ceramics!

I didn't have masses of new stuff to show this year. I have been busy with the teaching. This coming year is going to be a big one in the development of my work and promoting the studio. I am on a one woman mission to do what ever I can to raise the profile of ceramics. Above is some of my work spanning the past three years. I began exploring natural forms and themes surrounding growth and expansion. Now my work is moving towards exploring the body, exploring the relationship between the vessel and the body. Both have a foot and a neck, I like to think about the relationship between a vessel and a woman, how we are both containers, vessels. I often think about the tactile nature of clay, how it invites touch. This lead me to adding unexpected elements to my work. A discreetly placed nipple that you may not notice at first, but as you run your hand over the work you chance apon. I would like to know what people think of my work, how I could improve it. What message does it send. I hope in keeping a blog and documenting the development of my work people may comment and help me grow my work and give it meaning.


No comments: