Monday 23 January 2012

Grayson Perry

I am reading a book about Grayson Perry http://www.rbooks.co.uk/product.aspx?id=0099485168. This is what he has to say about making....

'My own creativity and art practice has been a mental shed - a sanctuary as well as a place of action - where I have retreated to make things. It gives me a sense of security in a safe e, enclosed space while I look out of the window on to the world. The shed was where I first learned to make things, where my subconscious was schooled in colour, texture and the concept of making. I still have that excitement now, of being very glad that i'm a maker and that my internal shed i always available. I can retreat into my head while I am in bed or in the bath - wherever I am - to think about things I want to make, and knowing that I will make them is extremely exciting.

This reminds me of my Grandad's shed. Under the sink I have a sharpening stone that belonged to my Grandad. Sometimes I like to unwrap it and take it out of the oily rag and smell it. It reminds me of all the time spent in the shed with my Grandad and my brother, making things out of wood. This must have seeped in. Me and Graeme (my brother) are both makers, he a carpenter, me a potter

No comments: