Sunday 22 January 2012

Making!!









These are a couple of my new pots made since moving to Eastbourne. I have the kiln here now in the garage, just have to get it hooked up now and I am away. The top pot is influenced by Grayson Perry and classical greek shapes, the nipples are a toned down version of my usual literal nipples.

The bottom one is heavily inspired by a Cycladic pot from 1800-1550 BC. I saw it in the British Museum a few weeks ago. It was a special moment, it has nipples and everything I can't believe that thousands of years  ago there was a potter who had a thing about nipples. I thought I was the only one! But no, I have an ancient brother or sister. I had to sit down in the museum just to take it all in, I felt part of a long line of clay people. I can't imagine my pots will find themselves in the British Museum in a few thousand years time. My pots will out live me though and that is a strange feeling, since they are such a part of me.


No comments: